Saturday, December 13, 2014

Braunmuller update

Taking a break from the videos, because I'm really kind of freaking out about them. Where the hell was I, and why is my memory of that time so thoroughly fucked? I mean, I know my episodes mess with my memory, but I've never had such an extended period where I've had such impaired memory.

I've been poking around campus departments, trying to see if I can find any leads on the researchers from the archives box. I tried the anthropology department, but most of the senior faculty are off right now doing conferences, or just unavailable because it's so close to the end of the semester.

I did manage to talk to one of the secretaries of the anthropology department. I think she's been there for a good 15 or so years, so I figured there was a chance she might have known at least about Professor Braunmuller.

When I asked her if anyone with that name had been faculty there, she sort of got this tightness around her mouth, and she started messing around on her computer. She said something sort of under her breath, like, "Great, here we go again."

I wasn't really sure what she meant by that, but she definitely didn't seem interesting in talking any more, so I thanked her and left.

But I did manage to find another staff worker under one of the research institutes affiliated with the department. She let me check out the indices and of the corpora produced or co-produced by the institute.

And Braunmuller was there. He was named as a co-author to an article written by one of the senior faculty, about local folk lore and Germanic philology. It didn't mention if he were a scholar under the institute or part of the university, or another, but he was there. But by the time I managed to find this, all of the staff were heading home.

This might sound kind of far fetched, but I do wonder if I do some kind of search on different iterations of the university's web pages going back through the years, maybe I can find more mention of Braunmuller. And I'll have to see if I can hunt down more people who might have known Braunmuller.

Oh god, and my own research. I have to do summaries and stuff to prove I've made progress (and not disappeared for two weeks) due before the end of next week. And I have to follow up on the local interviews I've done.

Maybe I can do a few more over the winter break. See if I can dig up anybody else who knows about the man in the woods, or the millpond man.

No comments:

Post a Comment