Saturday, November 15, 2014

Research log 7

Wow it's been a few days. I've really got to catch up on my progress reports, because a lot has been going on.

"There's a man in the woods."

I know that something's really stuck in my mind when I dream about it. For the past few days, I've been dreaming about being in the woods, at home. It's so quiet, like the air has been infused with the fabric of silence. I know there's something out in the distance, and I should be afraid. But I'm not.

It's those interviews. Listening to those people telling their stories about the man in the woods. Speaking of which, I've had about 3 more interviews with people, with a smattering of different stories, which I'll have to write up the transcripts for.

But here's the thing: they all talk about the man in the woods.With that phraseology. I'm getting goosebumps, and I'm not sure if it's the stories, or the monthly mayhem come back to mess with me.


In other news: local library was a go! Unsurprisingly, not as well equipped as the campus library re: folklore and ethnographic texts recovering local superstitions and folk stories.

But there was a surprising and unexpected part of this excursion. The library also has an archive section not open to the general public, and has records and collections available pretty much only to scholars, researchers, teachers, and people with a valid request and reason.

Since I'm a graduate researcher with a student ID, I managed to get in. In the section concerning local folklore and legends, I found a pretty fantastic collection of manuscripts done a few decades ago by a local college professor who had been studying regional folktales.

What's better is that the librarian actually agreed to let me borrow the collection. It's got its own sealed box and everything. I'll be going through it very soon, and I'll log it through notes and video.

Regarding that floppy disk I found in the tunnels: it's gone missing. I could kick myself in the teeth. I am so angry at myself. I thought I had it in my research journal, but sometime in the past few days it's wandered off somewhere. If anything else, I had wanted to see if it was related to the tunnel creep. Now it's doubtful I'll ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment